Friday, July 17, 2009

Gay Marriage

As you know I got gay-married a couple weeks ago. Since then I've been on my honeymoon and the boy has been with us (more about that later). So I haven't had much time to actually blog.

The ceremony itself was simple, just like we wanted it to be. Actually, our intention was to have the ceremony just us and family. Of my family (a cast of thousands) only my son was able to come. My daughter decided she wanted to "stay home and be bored" this summer instead of spending it with me. I was admittedly a little hurt by her declaration. But I understand. She's 11, and right now the whole gay dad t
hing is a bit weird for her. And she's pretty much a major home body, (like her father) she'd be more than happy to pass the time holed up in her room reading rather than... well... just about anything. That and I believe she's still worried about her mother because of her earlier health issues. The rest of the family, as great as they have been, either aren't comfortable enough
with the whole gay thing or simply can't afford to travel right now.

Of the partner's family one brother was supposed to have attended. He was supposed to be our witness. He came. He fought with the partner. He declared his disapproval of our marriage (despite being [I can't say he's gay because I wouldn't want to share his personal business] himself ). He mooched room and board off of the partner for a couple more days. He left before the wedding. The partner's other brother couldn't make it because of family responsibilities. His parents frankly weren't told. His father is an anglican minister and has fought homosexuality his whole life (don't you just love the irony of a man with such hateful opinions having two non-heterosexual sons?).

So the wedding party included the partner and
me; my son; Chuck, the partner's former partner and long-time close friend; our gestor, a legal representative; and the judge. Chuck took video, and the boy took photos.

We wore white, but not suits. The judge passed his written speech to the gestor, who translated. He informed us of the laws, and then delivered our vows.
We exchanged rings. And then he pronounced us married.

I know I keep harping on this, but I just think that what happened next was truly spectacular. A couple of signatures were required and then the judge gave us our libro de familia, our family book. (It even has space to list ch
ildren produced by our marriage should such a miracle happen.) This is our official and legal marriage document. This is the exact same document that all married couples in Spain receive, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.
Spain is probably one of the most fervently and rigidly Catholic countries in the world. But the Spanish are not going to let their own personal beliefs interfere with the basic civil rights of others. They do what's right despite what they've been taught by religious leaders.

The only issue was that we had written the wrong time down and showed up thirty minutes late thinking we were thirty minutes early. But that didn't cause any problems. The ceremony was thankfully short and sweet. From there we headed out to the reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment